Hypergraffiti

Hypergraphia is a condition that causes people to transcribe their thoughts uncontrollably. I don't suffer from it in the clinical sense, but I may be borderline. My blog is the cyber-wall where I spray paint my thoughts for all to see. By the way, if you came here directly through blogger --if your page has no yellow frames and no pretty pic of me in the top left corner -- you may want to visit my main site at www.hypergraffiti.com, where you can read this blog and much much more.

Name:

I'm Trudy Morgan-Cole, a writer from St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. My books include "The Violent Friendship of Esther Johnson," "Esther: A Story of Courage," and "Deborah and Barak." I'm also a married mom of two, a teacher in an adult-ed program, and a Christian of the Seventh-day Adventist kind. I blog about writing, reading, parenting, teaching, spirituality, and shiny things that catch my eye.

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Tellum Things

We're here at the "Tellum Things" cyber-cafe in Eastport, having enjoyed a tasty lunch from whatever's left around -- the proprietess explained to me that they're at the end of the season so they're not restocking anything. Despite that we enjoyed a lovely cod au gratin and a good lasagna. I told Jason that once we got down to Eastport we were going to "live off the land" and so far that's working out pretty well. The kids are outside allegedly picking blueberries.

We came down here yesterday afternoon after going to church in Bay Roberts in the morning. I preached the sermon at Bay Roberts, holding my audiene of two dozen enthralled. I'm preaching the same sermon in St. John's next week so this was a good dry run -- I can tinker with the bits that weren't so enthralling. Anyway, our road trip continued with lunch at the cabin and a quick swim -- good thing we got our swim in then, because by the time we got out to Eastport at 4:30 p.m., it was overcast, cool and rainy. It cleared up later but continued cool with high winds. Our plan had been to camp if we couldn't get a cabin for Saturday night (we already had a booking at the White Sails Inn for Sunday night, and they told us that if a cancellation came up they'd hold it for us). Fortunately there was a cancellation and we were able to be under a roof last night, and believe me, even though I love tent camping, I was very glad NOT to be in a tent last night!

Today is bright and sunny but the wind is strong and a bit nippy. It's not the kind of day you want to laze around on Eastport Beach in your swimsuit. It's the kind of day you want to stand on the beach, look out at the ocean, and say in your best George Costanza voice: "The sea was angry that day, my friends." Well, that's what I want to do anyway -- it might affect you differently.

The kids, marvellously adaptable as ever, don't seem to have a problem with the cooler weather. They are having fun in the White Sails playground, and this morning (before winding up at the cafe) we went for a longish walk/hike along the several sandy beaches that ring the shore here. It was a fun ramble that involved some beach-combing, some rock-climbing, and some of what Emma calls "A Cole Family scouting adventure!!" through the woods. Max (our dog) is probably enjoying this trip better than if we'd had perfect weather, because if it was a hot day the beach would be crowded and he'd have to stay on a leash -- as it is, he's able to run freely, diving into the pounding surf and emerging wet, sandy and triumphant. I'm enjoying some reading time and also doing a bit of writing on my fantasy novel. Jason is going insane because he forgot to pack a book and has read every word in every tired old magazine and tourist brochure in the cabin -- but other than that, it's a good trip!

I can't show you any pictures of Eastport because I remembered to pack the camera but not to put the memory stick in it!! So this is one of those rare life experiences where I have to depend on my five senses and my memory rather than my constant need to document every life experience.

I've also had a bunch of deep thoughts about the cosmic meaning of life and stuff, all very blogworthy, but Jason and the kids have already left and headed back to the cabin with intent to pick blueberries on the way, so I must untie Max from the post outside the cafe and go catch up to them!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Jason! I can't imagine forgetting to pack a book! *shudders*

Oh, and I want to know the topic you preached on.

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Oh, and I want to know the topic you preached on."

Me too, me too!

11:51 AM  
Blogger TrudyJ said...

Yes Katrina, it was a devastating weekend for Jason. If it was me I'd have had to write a whole book from scratch just to read it.

Thanks to you both for asking what I preached on ... the title of sermon was "When God is Silent" and I told the story of Jesus and the Canaanite woman -- the woman who said "Even the dogs can eat the crumbs that fall from the master's table."

3:50 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

I'd love to hear it...or read it...

2:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home