Hypergraffiti

Hypergraphia is a condition that causes people to transcribe their thoughts uncontrollably. I don't suffer from it in the clinical sense, but I may be borderline. My blog is the cyber-wall where I spray paint my thoughts for all to see. By the way, if you came here directly through blogger --if your page has no yellow frames and no pretty pic of me in the top left corner -- you may want to visit my main site at www.hypergraffiti.com, where you can read this blog and much much more.

Name:

I'm Trudy Morgan-Cole, a writer from St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. My books include "The Violent Friendship of Esther Johnson," "Esther: A Story of Courage," and "Deborah and Barak." I'm also a married mom of two, a teacher in an adult-ed program, and a Christian of the Seventh-day Adventist kind. I blog about writing, reading, parenting, teaching, spirituality, and shiny things that catch my eye.

Sunday, October 15, 2006

And I'd Like to thank Starbucks....

Once again today, a couple of hours' retreat (and a chocolate oatcake) at Chapters/Starbucks helped move me a step further along the road towards having the manuscript I'm working on now completed. If this book ever gets published I will have to thank Starbucks in the Acknowledgements (and would hardly be the first writer to do so!)

All this, of course, is just clearing the decks so I can have a clean desk and an empty mind on November 1 to start a new project for NaNoWriMo.

What? You've never heard of NaNoWriMo? You've never done NaNoWriMo?? If you're a writer, or a would-be writer, and you need a kick in the pants to get moving on a project, or you need to silence your inner critic and just push forward with something rather than agonizing over whether it's "good enough" ... NaNoWriMo may be for you. Writing 50,000 words in November may seem like a tall order, but having thousands of other participants cheering you on (in the online forums ... and in spirit, I guess, for what that's worth) might just be what it takes.

As well as grinding out another chapter on The Stones of Ashreel today, I finally updated Compulsive Overreader with a few more book reviews ... and answered a bunch of emails I felt guilty about not answering. Not bad for a person who essentially didn't get out of bed till noon. Ah yes ... life is good.

4 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

Ah, NaNoWriMo... I had so much fun with that last year. I, too, anxiously await Nov. 1. My birthday is on the last day of November, so it would be great if I could have yet another reason to celebrate that day. I didn't get anywhere near 50,000 words last time.

And about your last post... just had to say that I empathize about the dilemma of blogging about your kids ethically. My oldest daughter read my last post to my son. (Something ELSE I need to consider... they can now wander there and read it.) Anyway, he got such a laugh out of my imitation of his voice. But, for a second, I thought, "Whew! That could SO have gone the other way."

12:37 AM  
Blogger Doctor E. Brown said...

Hmmm..I heard about NaNoWriMo a few years back at this little writing thing that took place on Monday evenings at the Mount Pearl library. I was in a rather large writer's block at the time (and for a few years after) so I was never up to it. I guess after a while it slipped my mind and became nothing more than a lost memory to me...until I read someone's journal here in BlogSpot today that mentioned this little kick in the crack of a writing project. I ventured to the site and figured I would search for a few Newfoundlanders that would be taking part this year. And Guess who I found at the top of the list? trudyj. Now...as I remember...Trudy was the name of the lady that was "overseeing" (aka bringing doughnuts) the writing at the library in like 2003. So here I was thinking, "Hey..I'm just take a little gander at her. Might be her." I am about 96.3 percent sure that it is you. But..I have enough pride that I don't want to be wrong. So I ask now. Are you the Trudy that was there with us at the library those many Mondays ago? If not, I appologize for the little interuption and good luck this November.

3:39 PM  
Blogger TrudyJ said...

Yes! But you have the advantage over me ... you know who I am, but I don't know which of the 6 or so people from the writing group you were! Are you going to give NaNo a try this year? If so, good luck. Send me a NaNo-mail if your'e signed up on the boards there and let me know your secret identity!

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(In my best python voice) Luxury...You slept till noon? Has the family moved out? :-)

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home