Hypergraffiti

Hypergraphia is a condition that causes people to transcribe their thoughts uncontrollably. I don't suffer from it in the clinical sense, but I may be borderline. My blog is the cyber-wall where I spray paint my thoughts for all to see. By the way, if you came here directly through blogger --if your page has no yellow frames and no pretty pic of me in the top left corner -- you may want to visit my main site at www.hypergraffiti.com, where you can read this blog and much much more.

Name:

I'm Trudy Morgan-Cole, a writer from St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. My books include "The Violent Friendship of Esther Johnson," "Esther: A Story of Courage," and "Deborah and Barak." I'm also a married mom of two, a teacher in an adult-ed program, and a Christian of the Seventh-day Adventist kind. I blog about writing, reading, parenting, teaching, spirituality, and shiny things that catch my eye.

Monday, September 11, 2006

41 Things About Me, or, Shameless Birthday Promotion

Happy Birthday to me!
Happy Birthday to me!
Don't think about it being the 5th anniversary of 9/11 and get all depressed...
Happy Birthday to me!!

(it doesn't scan too well, does it? also, i really don't mean to belittle the tragedy of 9/11. it is a day that should be remembered for the lives that were lost. but i've always felt like the terrorists stole a little piece of me by doing that on my birthday so i have to make a gesture to reclaim my right to celebrate.)

Since the only thing more self-indulgent than a blog is one of those blog posts where you list a whole bunch of stuff about yourself, I will, in honour of my 41st birthday today, list 41 Things You May or May Not Know About Me.

1. I was born on Sept. 11, 1965 at 9:20 p.m.
2. I'm not sure exactly how long my mother was in labour but the number "17 hours" sticks in my head ... is that right Mom?
3. The hours leading up to my birth were most memorable (in family lore) for my mother remarking (I use the term loosely) to a nice Catholic lady also about to give birth in the next bed, "You got the beads, you pray!!"
4. I love celebrating my birthday and making a big deal of it.
5. I love celebrating virtually anything and making a big deal of it.
6. Yesterday I went on the waterslide at the Aquarena 10 times. I wanted to go 41 times in honour of my birthday but there wasn't time.
7. I love waterslides. I'm so happy Christopher is now old enough to enjoy them because for many years I felt awkward taking the kids to the family swim and being the only one who wanted to go on the waterslide. Since I'm figuring the window of opportunity when Chris will think it's cool to go on the waterslide with his mom will be pretty small, I'm planning to enjoy it to the fullest.
8. The most terrifying minute of my life was the minute after Christopher was born, because he wasn't breathing at first. This was fixed fairly quickly, but I will never forget those seconds.
9. The most joyful hour of my life was the hour after Emma was born. It was a quick, uncomplicated birth and she was handed to me, latched on perfectly and started to nurse, and wouldn't let go for a solid hour. I had to eat my lunch around her and it was in this manner that the doctor found us when he belatedly arrived to take charge. (There were nurses there for the delivery and they managed just fine).
10. I know all the words to "The Rocky Road to Dublin."
11. I know all the words to a lot of songs, probably hundreds, although most were easier to learn than "The Rocky Road to Dublin." I have a really good memory for song lyrics.
12. The above talent is absolutely useless because I cannot sing on-key to save my life.
13. This almost never stops me from singing. I don't sing solos in public (generally) but otherwise love to inflict my singing voice on people in any informal or group-singing setting.
14. If I could have one gift given me, it would be the ability to sing beautifully.
15. I have the best job I've ever had in my life and I love it so much I'd almost pay them to let me come to work.
16. OK, I really do love my job but I hope Tim didn't read #15, because I also enjoy getting paid, especially after 7 years as a stay-at-home mom.
17. If they ever make a movie of my life, I want Allison Janney to play me.
18. I married my husband because he made me laugh and he once carried a bag of my vomit to the garbage for me. Although he didn't make me laugh on that specific occasion.
19. I liked my twenties better than my teens, and my thirties better than my 20s. So far things are looking good for my 40s to be even better.
20. I have a really scarily good memory for some things (like song lyrics and phone numbers) and a horribly bad memory for other things (like errands I was supposed to do, and people's faces).
21. I am riddled with self-doubt about the quality of my writing, as is every writer I know.
22. It's now 6:37 a.m. and I had planned to be downstairs on the exercise bike RIGHT NOW, but instead I'm writing this blog.
23. I'm very, very easily distracted. Oh look, something shiny!
24. I spend way too much time online.
25. I'm a voracious reader. I read over 100 books every year. A lot of those used to be rereads, but in the last few years (since spending way too much time online) I get a lot more recommendations (online) for good new books, so now I'm reading mostly new books and not rereading so much.
26. I've always been a late night person who slept as late as possible in the morning, and I'm amazed and amused that this lifelong pattern seems to be changing in my 40s.
27. My husband is still a late night person so we are now slightly out of sync with bedtimes and such.
28. Knowing God is the most important thing in my life.
29. I'm the kind of person who has a really hard time writing sentences like #28 because it sounds "too religious," even though it's true.
30. I like labyrinths and once painted one on the floor of my old workplace (yes I had permission).
31. I like painting anything, anywhere, even though I have zero artistic talent and am also very messy and end up covered with paint.
32. My favourite novel in the whole wide world is probably The Diviners by Margaret Laurence.
33. My favourite song in the whole wide world is probably Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen, but sung by someone else ... maybe John Cale. Like #32, this is very hard to pick.
34. My favourite movie is The Princess Bride. That wasn't hard at all.
35. My favourite sound in the world is my children's laughter. Fortunately I get to hear it a lot.
36. When I think about listing my closest friends outside of my immediate family, three names come immediately to mind. Then I think of two more. Then I think of four or five more, and then I wonder, "How strictly are we defining 'close friend'?" All this just because I have so many good friends.
37. I'm well aware that I'm incredibly lucky because of #36.
38. In fact, I consider myself incredibly lucky in life generally.
39. Sometimes I worry about this, as if there's going to be a cosmic payback someday.
40. I absolutely, totally, completely love chocolate. Especially dark chocolate.
41. I can honestly say that on my 41st birthday I am happier, healthier, more energetic and more optimistic than I have ever been at any time in my life. And I hope to say the same on my 51st birthday!

6 Comments:

Blogger Tina Chaulk said...

Happy Birthday!!!!! Very interesting stuff there.

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY from the git who was so caught up in 9/11 in 2001, she forgot to call and wish you Happy Birthday. LET'S GO CELEBRATE! Call me.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Christine Hennebury (isekhmet/Smartmouth Mombie) said...

Happy Birthday! I hope your day rocks.


My eldest was born on Nov. 11, and I always feel a little awkward about celebrating on Remembrance Day.

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Birthday Trudy! This was a great read, and inspiring... by the way I am half way through your book (can only read it before bed as that is the quietest time of my day and the only time I don't get harassed into reading Curious George or Winnie the Pooh), and I am really enjoying it. That was one long tangent, sorry.

Lori M
Hope you have a GREAT birthday and a wonderful year! Lori

3:18 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

"13. This almost never stops me from singing. I don't sing solos in public (generally) but otherwise love to inflict my singing voice on people in any informal or group-singing setting."

This reminds me of a night in Toronto circa 1987-88 when we were singing Cyndi Lauper's "Calm Inside The Storm" loudly while dancing on park benches or twirling around lampposts a la "Singing In The Rain". You probably don't remember that evening, but it's probably one I'd PAY to have over again because I had so much unfettered fun!!

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Number 13 reminded me of the time you and Jennifer and two Chinese girls named Grace (one a musician with perfect pitch)were riding in the backseat of my car and you and Jennifer sang your way lustily through every song of "The Sound of Music," without missing a word. Tuneful? No. Enthusiastic? Yes!

Keep on singing enthusiastically, opening yourself up to new experiences, and in other ways staying as young as possible for as long as possible.

Hope your birthday was wonderful.

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home