Hypergraffiti

Hypergraphia is a condition that causes people to transcribe their thoughts uncontrollably. I don't suffer from it in the clinical sense, but I may be borderline. My blog is the cyber-wall where I spray paint my thoughts for all to see. By the way, if you came here directly through blogger --if your page has no yellow frames and no pretty pic of me in the top left corner -- you may want to visit my main site at www.hypergraffiti.com, where you can read this blog and much much more.

Name:

I'm Trudy Morgan-Cole, a writer from St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. My books include "The Violent Friendship of Esther Johnson," "Esther: A Story of Courage," and "Deborah and Barak." I'm also a married mom of two, a teacher in an adult-ed program, and a Christian of the Seventh-day Adventist kind. I blog about writing, reading, parenting, teaching, spirituality, and shiny things that catch my eye.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Struggling Back to Blogland

I have a confession to make. It's hugely ironic coming at a time when apparently there is quite a bit of debate going on about the "politics of blogging" and the role of popularity (as measured by site hits, comments, etc.) in the blogworld ... (a debate which might well have passed my completely as I'm so out of the loop about such things, except for one link which led me to another and another) ...

But it's time to confess.

I was kinda crushed that I didn't get more comments on my carefully written and (I figured) thoughtful last post on the Montreal school shooting. For once, I blog on something topical and possibly even debateworthy ... and there is near-silence. Mind you, seven comments is quite good for my little corner of the blogosphere, but when you consider that one was kind of irrevelant, one was me replying to someone, and THREE were from my best friend (bless her!) who posted three times ... that's basically three people who commented on what I said. I don't know, I was just hoping for a little more feedback. I really do try not to measure my self-worth by my blog-comments (especially given how often I read other people's blogs, think "That's really interesting!" and then don't comment). But I do like to get feedback and know what other people are thinking about the things that interest me. Thanks to those who did comment.

I am getting over the pain and getting back to blogging. Oh, speaking of pain, did I tell you about the SIX PEOPLE who came to my reading on Sunday? Thank you, I love you all, you are gods and goddesses ... still it would have been nice to see a few more faces there. Wow, there's nothing like being a writer for boosting one's self-esteem is there?

Is it possible I'm just feeling a teensy bit underappreciated right now? It's apparently not enough for me to have a book published ... or to have a blog ... what I really need (apparently) is people to line the streets chanting my name and showering me with rose petals.

I WILL STOP WHINING NOW I PROMISE!!!!!!!!

What better to cheer me up than pictures of my children? Here's one of Emma that raises an interesting (perhaps comment-worthy? I can only dare hope!) point in and of itself. Because I am one of those moms who strictly rations TV and video and computer time, and I will fight to the death for my belief that watching TV stifles creativity. And yet ... when I put on a video for the kids Sunday morning while Jason was still in bed upstairs, and I went out for a walk ... this is the scene I came home to a little later:

Yes, the TV is still on over in the corner somewhere, outside the frame of the picture. Kinda makes me scared about how creative (and messy) she could get if I didn't have a video on. OK, I'm not going to go into any deep thoughts about kids, TV and creativity ... a picture is worth 1000 anyway.

So for my next 1000 words, here's Christopher playing the violin:


Note how, with the superhero mural in the background, it kind of looks like The Thing is sneaking up from behind to attack Christohper while he's playing? If you've ever had an eight-year-old violin student practicing in your house you may feel some sympathy with The Thing at this point ... poor guy probably just wants some peace and quiet. However, getting Chris to practice is such a struggle that whenever he plays anything at all, it's music to my ears.

Oh, for anyone who's keeping track? My foot got completely better, all on its own. So, that's a good thing.

10 Comments:

Blogger Bea said...

Guilty!

I read your post and it was one of those times where my brain was too crowded with complicated responses - I couldn't sort them out enough to form a coherent comment. But I thought of your post many times after I went away, and I'm still haunted by it in all kinds of ways I probably don't want to think about.

10:16 PM  
Blogger TrudyJ said...

See? Even just knowing THAT makes me feel better!

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah--if it helps, I think most bloggers feel as if the posts they put the most thought into get the fewest responses. I've had a lot of conversations with other bloggers on teh same lines, and we all came to the same conclusions.

I tell myself it's because people often don't know what to add, or say, when they really like it--it can feel silly just to say "me too!" or "that was nice," you know?

For instance, I've learend not to expect more than 2 comments on book reviews, no matter what the book is about or how much time I spend on writing it. Apparently, people don't comment on my book reviews. Oh well. (Which reminds me, I have a book I need to review.)

And a million times thank you for staying out of the fray.

11:19 PM  
Blogger TheyDHD said...

I think everyone on the blogosphere thinks they don't need enough comments sometimes. *smile*

You have adorable children! I restrict tv and such as well, and it's nice to know I'm not the only one with a huge mess masquereding as my living room most every day. *chuckle*

I followed a comment you made on my friend HomeschoolBarefoot's post about HMOs.

Much with the comment love for you!

2:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I never made it to Chapters on Sunday. I never got back in town until 6pm... I was there in spirit! :-)

Oh, I'm off jury duty now, so we can go out and celebrate getting older. What's Jennifer up to these days? Would she like to come along? I'll call ya later.

Also, I'm new to this blogging thing. I did check out one of the sites that you had posted and found the guy hysterical. He's the canal guy in England. I haven't had a chance to check out any of the others.

I wonder if blogging comments and replies would make an interesting book? Hmmm...

9:30 AM  
Blogger Tina Chaulk said...

For me, I don't base the response to my blog on comments. Too few people bother to comment, no matter how pertinent or brilliant a blog may be. I base it on the stats that tell me how many people have been there, what they've read and even where they have come from (if you want help setting that up, email me). As for your post about the dark side, I skimmed it quickly but really haven't had a chance to sit down and read it thoroughly since it is long and life here has been crazy. Long posts usually mean I go back to them when I get a chance and by then comments sometimes seem irrelevant since too much time has passed. As for your reading, I am sorry there were not more people there. I would have if not for my visitors. I have my first signing tomorrow night and I'm pretty sure I would do a jig if six people showed up. I'm going to post about this soon and will recommend a book that will help you feel better.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

EEK! I'm one of the non-commenters here yesterday as well... but I have a GREAT explantion! I usually sneak in a blogread or two from my work desk, hence always leary about commenting because of the wandering eyeballs of customers and bosses and co-workers alike. I'm still at my desk, this time with some momentary privacy, so I'd just like to tell you that your last post was gorgeously-rendered and thought-provoking, and I probably couldn't have added anything anyway except to say, I think you raised some valid points, and I don't have the answers, either. Thank you for sharing this. :)

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trudy,
Like others have commented, I just didn't know what to say about your thoughtful, insightful and relevant piece about the Montreal School shootings. (There are some compliments to make you smile -- ;)). There are true though.
I read your blog regularly and enjoy "hearing" your thoughts. I also like to see what it is a REAL writer has to say and what they think about!
Your kids are beautiful and it looks like they are so wonderfully well-rounded-- so I think tv restriction and the other things you are doing are paying off! Chris' violin is very cool, by the way!
I know that I like to get comments on my blogs too and sometimes I really second guess whether anyone 'likes' what I write when there are no comments, so I will try to come up with something intelligent when I read your blogs! :)

Lori M

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes. I just read this post (haven't kept up very well), and I'm one of the guilty also.

Sadly, I actually clicked on "Post a comment" when I read that entry, but my computer has been really slow, and before it loaded, I got impatient and wandered away. :-(

I did think it was a wonderful post (though now I wish I'd finished the thought to say so).

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trudy

I also read your blog on a regular basis. When someone writes as eloquent as you do, I feel rather silly to write something as inadequate as "I agree" or "me too". Even some of your lighter blogs give me food for thought though.

When Chris was a baby I admit to letting him watch far more tv then I probably should have (I'll pull the single mom card out hear and use that as an excuse!). My son is a video game addict and tv addict. Even when my son has friends over they end up in front of some sort of screen.

Alexandra doesn't watch tv in the same manner at all. It would be one of the last forms of entertainment she picks. I would like to say I am a good parent and only allowed so many hours when she was younger and that is why she can take it or leave it. For my children I think part of it is simply their personalities.

I personally have made a consciencous effort not to watch so much tv in the past number of years. Must be all about example.

Again, thanks for some interesting thoughts on your previous blog. And for the most part, I agree(see that's just sad and inadequate)!

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home