Hypergraffiti

Hypergraphia is a condition that causes people to transcribe their thoughts uncontrollably. I don't suffer from it in the clinical sense, but I may be borderline. My blog is the cyber-wall where I spray paint my thoughts for all to see. By the way, if you came here directly through blogger --if your page has no yellow frames and no pretty pic of me in the top left corner -- you may want to visit my main site at www.hypergraffiti.com, where you can read this blog and much much more.

Name:

I'm Trudy Morgan-Cole, a writer from St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. My books include "The Violent Friendship of Esther Johnson," "Esther: A Story of Courage," and "Deborah and Barak." I'm also a married mom of two, a teacher in an adult-ed program, and a Christian of the Seventh-day Adventist kind. I blog about writing, reading, parenting, teaching, spirituality, and shiny things that catch my eye.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

What's Inside a Snowbank?

This post is intended as educational material for those who, sadly, live in places where they don't get a lot of snow. You may have wondered what you would see if a large piece of machinery came along and sliced a nine-foot, two-month-old snowbank in half. Wonder no more!

Given the popularity of those "cross-section" books that show what goes on inside a medieval castle, or a battleship, I think there's quite a market for my "What's Inside a Snowbank?" pictures. Observe how, like geologists reading the story of earth's history from the layers of rock, we can read the Story of Winter in St. John's in this single cross-section of snow. The layers that indicate different snowfalls, the darker, more compacted layers showing snow that was pushed up by the plough as opposed to the lighter snow that fell from the sky, the upper layer indicating the most recent snowfall. Enjoy this view while you can folks, because apparently this weekend it's going to get covered up with a whole new pile of snow! Yes indeedy!! Another weekend snowstorm!!!! I can hardly wait!!!!!

Some people know how to have fun in winter. Here are my kids on top of the snowpile that matches this one (on the other side of the driveway) last weekend:

And here is what their grandfather made while shovelling snow off his back deck. He didn't even have the excuse of the kids being up there while he did it -- he just did it for a laugh. See what a good attitude he has? I am not likely to be making anything entertaining out of snow anytime soon, unless it is a blanket under which to bury myself till it all goes away.


In non-snow-related news, Jason and the kids and I went out to supper tonight using the gift certificate I got for winning the Coast Conundrum the other day (remember that? That's what I won!) That was a nice little break in the routine.

Also, I am continuing to get through my Lenten reading list. Please drop over to my book review blog, Compulsive Overreader, if you haven't already, to see what I'm reading and maybe even comment on it!

4 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

How interesting!! The way you describe the snow's profile is so much like the way we soils people describe dirt.... my day job.

Off to visit your book review blog!

2:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your dad seems like a great guy! Who would have thought to make a couch!!!
I am sure you are all sick of snow, but the kids look like they are having fun. That must be something!

Here's hoping that Spring comes soon to NFLD!

Lori M

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The photo of your dad on the snow sofa is one of my favorites of all time. He looks tired but ever so satisfied with his creativity. He did it for your mom (I was on the phone with her when he called her out to look at it) because he knew she'd get a kick out of it. Ya gotta love him!

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your dad's so cute! And I don't mean that in any kind of creepy way! :0)

Catherine T

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home