Hypergraffiti

Hypergraphia is a condition that causes people to transcribe their thoughts uncontrollably. I don't suffer from it in the clinical sense, but I may be borderline. My blog is the cyber-wall where I spray paint my thoughts for all to see. By the way, if you came here directly through blogger --if your page has no yellow frames and no pretty pic of me in the top left corner -- you may want to visit my main site at www.hypergraffiti.com, where you can read this blog and much much more.

Name:

I'm Trudy Morgan-Cole, a writer from St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. My books include "The Violent Friendship of Esther Johnson," "Esther: A Story of Courage," and "Deborah and Barak." I'm also a married mom of two, a teacher in an adult-ed program, and a Christian of the Seventh-day Adventist kind. I blog about writing, reading, parenting, teaching, spirituality, and shiny things that catch my eye.

Monday, February 19, 2007

Tough Call, Again

This morning Christopher started complaining of a headache and stomachache just before we left for school. Again with those sick-kid decisions -- when to stay home? when to send him to school?

I took him to school and told him to give it a try, maybe he'd feel better soon. I knew he wasn't just being a little third-grade slacker because his best friend was back today from two weeks in Florida (don't get me started on the envy!) and Christopher really wanted to be in school to see him.

So when he called me at work at 9:35 to say he was really miserable and wanted to come home, I knew he was serious.

At the time, I was writing notes on Chapter Nine of Lord of the Flies (Simon gets killed! Oh, sorry, did I spoil it for you?) on the board for my English 2201 class. I quickly finished the notes, checked in with Boss Tim, and wrote assignments on the board for the rest of my classes. (That's the joy of teaching in adult ed ... no dealing with messy substitutes; just leave work for your mature, self-directed students to complete on their own. Or, you know, NOT!!)

As I explained the sitch to my student their eyes grew misty with nostalgic remeniscences. "Yeah, I used to hate that, when I said I was sick and Mom would say, Go to school anyway! You'll feel better soon!"

"Or when I'd say I was sick to my stomach and she'd say, Eat your breakfast! It'll get better!" ... a line I had used this very morning.

I explained to them that from the parental side of the line the decision of what warrants a sick day was not always as straightforward as it might seem. Then I drove back to Chris's school to get my pale, sad-looking little boy.

He's sleeping now, and anytime Christopher voluntarily goes to sleep, you can pretty much bet he's sick. I'm using the time to try to catch up on some writing and reading. Making the sick-day call can be one of the tougher roles in parenting, but there's no doubt whatsoever that this is a sick little boy:



2 Comments:

Blogger Tina Chaulk said...

Awwww. get better Christopher.

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor kid (and mom and dad).

It IS a tough call. At times I've been completly convinced my Christopher was faking it, sent him on his way to school, only to have them call to say that he had been sick in the classroom.

I've done the cautious thing and have kept them home only to have the conversation about why they could not go outside and play despite the miraculous recovery at 3:30!

Hope It doesn't start the "plague" again at your house.

Oh, and by the way, cyberspace ate my comment about recitals eating away at your weekend! Christopher and Emma are very talented.

Catherine T

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home