Hypergraffiti

Hypergraphia is a condition that causes people to transcribe their thoughts uncontrollably. I don't suffer from it in the clinical sense, but I may be borderline. My blog is the cyber-wall where I spray paint my thoughts for all to see. By the way, if you came here directly through blogger --if your page has no yellow frames and no pretty pic of me in the top left corner -- you may want to visit my main site at www.hypergraffiti.com, where you can read this blog and much much more.

Name:

I'm Trudy Morgan-Cole, a writer from St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. My books include "The Violent Friendship of Esther Johnson," "Esther: A Story of Courage," and "Deborah and Barak." I'm also a married mom of two, a teacher in an adult-ed program, and a Christian of the Seventh-day Adventist kind. I blog about writing, reading, parenting, teaching, spirituality, and shiny things that catch my eye.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Snow Fun At All


The above picture was taken in our backyard at about 5:00 p.m. this evening. We've had a lot of snow lately, but it's not that bad. You can still see the top of the fence. If we get another week like this the kids will be able to go out and sit on the top bar of the swingset, not to mention walking straight to Aunt Gertie's yard over the top of the fence, which is another of the joys of winter.

I just looked out the window and noticed that it's snowing again. This lot wasn't even in the forecast. It's falling thick and fast, but without the 80km/h winds behind it, it doesn't qualify as a snowstorm. It's just picturesque.

Let's see ... I've already had my obligatory whining-about-weather post, so there will be no whining in this post ... just straight factual information to update those of you who are not lucky enough to live in St. John's, Newfoundland. Last Wednesday, as I mentioned, was a snow day -- meaning that schools were closed, as was Jason's work, so we all stayed home and huddled by the fire. The next snowstorm came on Friday night, dumping another 15-20 cm on top of what we'd already gotten. By Saturday morning, the snow had stopped, though driveways were full and many roads weren't clear. Like the good people we are, we went to church anyway, largely because I felt responsible for teaching Sabbath School and playing the piano for church. Then we came back home to huddle by the fire.

Emma also caught a cold, with a bad cough, so on Sunday she stayed home from a birthday party and a sliding party that Jason took Christopher too. We also decided to keep her home from school Monday -- although it was one of those tough calls where in retrospect she might have been well enough to go -- and I took the day off work to stay home with her. The snow started again Monday evening and continued throughout the night and into this morning. We woke up to find schools closed again today.

So, if anyone's counting, that means I have basically been in the house since lunchtime Saturday. I have made a few forays outside -- the kids and I have "helped" Jason with shovelling a few times, and I took Max for a walk in the snow last night. Other than that I haven't been out and haven't really wanted to be. The slight traces of cabin fever have been more than worth it for the extended long weekend, the writing and reading I've gotten done (including a big chunky book I just reviewed on Compulsive Overreader), and the Not Going Out In the Snow. The kids have probably watched too many videos (we rented How to Eat Fried Worms, which everyone but Emma loved), but I do attempt to set boundaries on that even on snow days, so we have also had lots of playtime with Emma and I playing board games (she whipped me in Snakes and Ladders, five games to three!) and Christopher building more of his endless line of Lego creations.

I've decided that I could live in a (heated) cabin in the woods, or an isolated outport, if it were in winter and I had good food supplies and an internet connection. Not that it's likely I'll ever have to live in either of those places, but I think it's interesting that people usually leave the city to go up in the country or around the bay in summertime, and come back to city living in winter. If I actually think about my preferences, it's in summer that I love the city, love being out and walking the streets, going places, enjoying the lively social and cultural life all around me. In winter I just like to hibernate, so I might as well be up in the woods! Maybe that's how I'll spend retirement ... in an isolated cottage in the country during January and February, returning to town for the warmer months. I'd better check that plan with Jason, though!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

We watched "How To Eat Fried Worms" a few weeks ago. Every time the boy was about to eat a worm, Jaedyn would hop off the couch and run out the door, tentatively returning a few moments later to see if the grossness was over...

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home