Hypergraffiti

Hypergraphia is a condition that causes people to transcribe their thoughts uncontrollably. I don't suffer from it in the clinical sense, but I may be borderline. My blog is the cyber-wall where I spray paint my thoughts for all to see. By the way, if you came here directly through blogger --if your page has no yellow frames and no pretty pic of me in the top left corner -- you may want to visit my main site at www.hypergraffiti.com, where you can read this blog and much much more.

Name:

I'm Trudy Morgan-Cole, a writer from St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. My books include "The Violent Friendship of Esther Johnson," "Esther: A Story of Courage," and "Deborah and Barak." I'm also a married mom of two, a teacher in an adult-ed program, and a Christian of the Seventh-day Adventist kind. I blog about writing, reading, parenting, teaching, spirituality, and shiny things that catch my eye.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I Like to do the Meme Thing

Actually I don't ... do those blog-meme things that much, I mean. But occasionally I see one that looks cool, and they're good for days when you want to blog but haven't really got a lot to say. Here's one that Joshilyn Jackson did on her blog a little while ago (it comes from The Daily Meme). I like it because it's book-related.

Here's how it works (in case you want to try it, or want to have any clue what I'm doing here):

1. Take five books off your bookshelf.
2. Book #1 -- first sentence
3. Book #2 -- last sentence on page fifty
4. Book #3 -- second sentence on page one hundred
5. Book #4 -- next to the last sentence on page one hundred fifty
6. Book #5 -- final sentence of the book
7. Make the five sentences into a paragraph, like this:

Home, my soul sighed. When Regal spoke, it sounded as if he had dry bread caught in his throat. I waved a gracious good-bye at the door. Hands it to her. Which is not to say that there aren't nights when I put on my coat and take a walk here in Evanston and go down to the lakefront near the university and walk along the rocks and get nostalgic and look up at Chicago, all golden and clean, reflecting down the shore to me, and think: that's nice, that's real nice, but I knew a place once where the lights were brighter, and the air was filled with dreams.

My books were:
1 -- Justice Hall, Laurie R. King
2 -- Assassin's Apprentice, Robin Hobb
3 -- The Boyfriend School, Sarah Bird
4 -- The Diviners, Margaret Laurence
5 -- Emma Who Saved My Life, Wilton Barnhardt (man, that book has a long last sentence!)

Aaaaannnd ... that's it from me today. Seriously, nothing more to say. Work has been quiet and slow this week as we're down to the last few days of the semester and most of the work is done (and most of the students are absent). I'll be glad to start a new semester and be busy again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home