Hypergraffiti

Hypergraphia is a condition that causes people to transcribe their thoughts uncontrollably. I don't suffer from it in the clinical sense, but I may be borderline. My blog is the cyber-wall where I spray paint my thoughts for all to see. By the way, if you came here directly through blogger --if your page has no yellow frames and no pretty pic of me in the top left corner -- you may want to visit my main site at www.hypergraffiti.com, where you can read this blog and much much more.

Name:

I'm Trudy Morgan-Cole, a writer from St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. My books include "The Violent Friendship of Esther Johnson," "Esther: A Story of Courage," and "Deborah and Barak." I'm also a married mom of two, a teacher in an adult-ed program, and a Christian of the Seventh-day Adventist kind. I blog about writing, reading, parenting, teaching, spirituality, and shiny things that catch my eye.

Saturday, July 01, 2006

It's July 1 ...

Just a quick moment to write a hasty entry before we pull out of the driveway and head up to the country. I will be offline all weekend ... not even an internet cafe in sight! We're going to my parents' cabin for the Canada Day long weekend, so if you're Canadian, or even if you like Canadians, Happy Canada Day!

And slightly less happy, but the Newfoundlander and the history teacher in me can't forget that July 1 is also Memorial Day here in Newfoundland; today is the 90th anniversary* of the infamous "July Drive" when, on July 1, 1916, most of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment was wiped out in a single misguided attack on German trenches. So, spare a moment amid the fireworks to think about the idiocy of war and (in the words of Eric Bogle) "a whole generation that was butchered and damned."

And with that thought, my friends, I head off for sunshine and swimming. Be back on Monday with adventures to report!!


______________________
* I feel compelled to point out that this is an edit. When my mom read this blog she called me to say that it was the 90th anniversary of the battle of Beaumont-Hamel, not the 70th as I had originally posted. She was worried about my street cred as a history teacher, but as I pointed out, my history-teacher credentials were flawless: I remembered the date. It was my math skilz, as usual, that let me down. ("2006 - 1916 ... yeah, that sounds like about 70!" I knew it had to be a decade anniversary because they both ended in 6.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at Beaumont-Hamel & am part of todays Royal Newfoundland Regiment :) what a feeling felt by all troops at Beaumont-Hamel this July 1st, 2006

5:59 PM  
Blogger TrudyJ said...

Wow, Steven, thanks for your comment ... I have never been to Beaumont-Hamel but really hope to make a visit there someday. I taught World History this year and as we wrapped up the WWI unit I told my students if they remembered no other date and no other event from that entire unit they should remember July 1, 1916.

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home