Hypergraffiti

Hypergraphia is a condition that causes people to transcribe their thoughts uncontrollably. I don't suffer from it in the clinical sense, but I may be borderline. My blog is the cyber-wall where I spray paint my thoughts for all to see. By the way, if you came here directly through blogger --if your page has no yellow frames and no pretty pic of me in the top left corner -- you may want to visit my main site at www.hypergraffiti.com, where you can read this blog and much much more.

Name:

I'm Trudy Morgan-Cole, a writer from St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. My books include "The Violent Friendship of Esther Johnson," "Esther: A Story of Courage," and "Deborah and Barak." I'm also a married mom of two, a teacher in an adult-ed program, and a Christian of the Seventh-day Adventist kind. I blog about writing, reading, parenting, teaching, spirituality, and shiny things that catch my eye.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The Waste Land

(If you think this blog entry seems a little more -- coherent, perhaps, a little more cosmic and thought-out than my usual ramblings, there's a reason. Today's blog is my entry in July's Blogging for Books contest, as hosted by the fabulous Joshilyn Jackson on her blog. If you're a blogger, check it out! Thanks to the guys for their permission to quote, and apologies to TSE for the title.)


Three of my students talk about tattoos. I am appalled by how much money they spend decorating their bodies in this particularly painful way. “I can think of a lot better things I could do with $250,” I say, looking at the flames and barbed wire on a young man’s arm.

“Do you know what I would have done with the $250 if I hadn’t gotten the tattoo?” he asks.

“I do, and in your case I’m glad for every tattoo you show up with,” I say. Nothing more needs to be said: we both know it would have been drug money. For two years he’s told me that he spends too much money on weed, that he really needs to quit. He reports triumphantly when money comes into his hands and he spends it on something other than drugs. He hasn’t quit yet, but the tattoo is a symbol of other possibilities.

Same room, another day, another young man with ocean-deep pain underneath the sparkling surface of his laughter. “The drinking’s really not a problem,” he assures me. “All of my friends drink as much as I do. All of them. One of my friends even died a few months ago, from alcohol poisoning. And another guy I know was killed in a motorcycle accident last year when he was drunk.”

“You’re telling me it’s not a problem and the best examples you can come up with are two guys who died from drinking?”

A pause; a nervous laugh. “Yeah. Those weren’t very good examples, were they?”

My students frustrate me because it’s not only I who can clearly see the trouble they are in. They see it themselves. They are caught in the gap between where they are and where they want to be, and that gap is a larger and more dangerous place than I’d realized.

I once thought that change was a knife-edge separating the life that makes you unhappy from the better life you want. I thought people teetered on that edge for a moment and then plunged – forward into hope, or back into failure. I know now it’s not a knife-edge. It’s the waste land, the place between, and people wander there sometimes for months or years, knowing they can’t stay back but afraid to move forward.

I know, too, that the inhabitants of the waste land are not just my “at risk youth” with their addictions and tattoos and their zero-riddled high school transcripts. My friends and family -- respectable and educated, middle-class and born-again -- all wander the waste land. I myself walk that space between. In one area of life or another – whether it’s food or drugs or alcohol, school or work or creativity, love or self-respect or God – we all linger in that place, wanting change but afraid or unable to grasp it.

I don’t know what alchemy propels a person out of the waste land, nudges them forward into the place on the other side, the place of change. I know I’m awed when I see someone do it. One of my best friends went to Weight Watchers in January, and this time it wasn’t just a New Year’s resolution. She’s lost over 50 pounds so far and no longer doubts she can lose the rest. A man I know quit smoking six weeks ago after years of failed attempts. Someone I care about finally told the truth about the lie that's consumed him for years. Another friend quit dreaming of being a novelist, drafted two manuscripts, started sending bulky parcels of hope off to agents.

As for my students, whose progress through the waste land I track each day – I forget sometimes that each one of them has taken a step out of the waste land labeled “high school dropout” and into a place where they can say, “I’m finishing school.” One step. It seems tiny, but one step crosses a border.

Which step will move me out of the waste land’s shadows, into the brilliant and sometimes harsh light of change? Will I take it?

14 Comments:

Blogger Dragonfly said...

What a great entry! I really enjoyed reading it.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Melessa Gregg said...

Not that it counts, but this would be my B4B pick for sure. And you know what that and $2 will get you, I'm sure.

4:31 AM  
Blogger el-e-e said...

Beautiful.

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great insight that the "wasteland" is not just populated with those of us who are "lost" in the dark world of drug, alcohol, etc.; but also those of us who struggle with life's decisions on a daily basis.

Good luck with B4B!

5:45 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

I have to tell you, this is one of my favorite B4B entries I've ever read. Truly wonderful.

10:16 AM  
Blogger poopie said...

I felt that with my soul, and I speak from many years in various wastelands.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Kim G. said...

Wonderful thoughts on the "betweens" in the lives of everyone, no matter what the struggle. Love your writing and the thoughts and reflections behind it. Thanks for sharing this

2:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very well said. And all too true. Good luck, both with your entry and your journey through life.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, very nicely said, Trudy. I love this entry.

I've been on vacation, so I'm trying to catch up with my blogs, and what a delightful surprise to not only read your entry (lovely!) but also to see you are a B4B finalist. How cool is that?!

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh...one more thing...if you win, and you get one of those adorable little fox-bear Nonny dolls, I will be Shrek GREEN with envy.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Melessa Gregg said...

Hey! It turns out I can pick 'em every once in awhile! Congratulations!!

3:23 PM  
Blogger Julie Kibler said...

Congrats on winning B4B. I really enjoyed reading your entry. It made me think hard about my adamant refusal to let my soon-to-be 18-year-old son get a tattoo...for a few seconds. ;)

I am so sad that B4B is going away from Joshilyn's blog!

12:53 AM  
Blogger TrudyJ said...

Thanks so much for the comments everyone ... I'm so excited I won. Glad it meant something to some people, and thanks to the judges for being awesome!!

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trudy --

Congrats on winning B4B! Email me a snail addy please so I can send your prize.

joshilyn@joshilynjackson.com

It was an AWESOME entry, I thought.

Joshilyn

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home